Whether you've just bought your first iPhone, upgraded to the iPhone 4S, or just want to refresh your app catalog, we've rounded up 15 must-have apps you need to download now. Good news — almost all of them are free!
The iPhone 4S comes with some cool upgrades and iOS 5, but the tech-loving world has been focused mostly on the likes of Siri. The voice recognition software that's been dubbed your "virtual assistant," who even has her own Tumblr dedicated to her humorous responses, is also the focus of the latest iPhone 4S ad that was released by Apple last night. Check it out below and tell us — what are some of the ways you've been using Siri?
Siri may be your new best virtual friend, but heads up — she might be talking about you to strangers. A recently discovered security hole in Siri on the iPhone 4S allows anyone access to Siri even if your phone is passcode locked. Just by pressing and holding the home button, you can send text messages, emails, make and change calendar appointments, and get info on contacts.
Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. Follow these steps to secure Siri behind a passcode lock: go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock. Enter your passcode, then scroll down to where it says "Siri" and slide it into the "Off" position. This will limit Siri's functionality behind your passcode lock. Take note that this function is on by default, so change it right away if you don't want your texts and appointments falling into the wrong hands.
Some people just feel better with protection. iPhone protection, that is. I've been using the Moshi iGlaze case ($25) on my iPhone 4S for the past few days now, and I have to say — it's been a very pleasant experience. Not only does the iGlaze keep my phone from getting scratched up in the back (thanks in part to a buffer film that you attach before slapping on the case), but it also keeps my iPhone 4S looking slim and trim. The sides of the case don't protrude out, and after a while you'll barely know you've got a case on your device. What's more, there's a nice matte finish on the back of the cases of color, while the clear version virtually disappears altogether.
The Moshi iGlaze comes in the five colors you see here (along with a clear version), but you can get a closer look in the gallery!
Earlier this year, we took a guess as to which iPhone 4S rumors would come to pass. Though the phone ended up being called the iPhone 4S, we still got most of our predictions correct! Here's a recap of what we got right, and one we got wrong.
- It will be announced on Oct. 4 — True that! The iPhone 4S announcement happened on Tuesday, Oct. 4, in Cupertino.
- It could have voice control — Reports of an "Assistant" feature indicate voice activation that will allow users to make appointments, get directions, and set reminders as well as send SMS and iMessage texts just by speaking commands. Siri is that assistant!
- It could be released on Oct. 15 — France Telecom's CEO announced to the press recently that he's been told the iPhone 5 will be released on Oct. 15. Though this was one day off (why would they launch it on a Saturday?), we thought the 14th was a more appropriate day.
- It could be available on Sprint — Very true! The iPhone 4 and 4S are both available on Sprint.
- It could come with a better camera — Indeed the iPhone 4S comes with an 8MP camera, just as expected.
And the one we got wrong:
- It could be slimmer, wider — Several leaked cases (and case images) seemed to suggest that the iPhone 4S could come with a new form factor, similar to the iPad 2. Though this is not the phone that was announced earlier this year, we have a sneaking suspicion that these cases are indeed for the upcoming iPhone 5.
It's iPhone 4S launch day around the globe! Apple fans waited hours to get their hands on the new device (even Steve Wozniak was first in line at the Palo Alto store last night), and we've got the pics to prove it. Check out some of the Apple store openings from San Francisco, New York, London, and Tokyo!
Still debating whether or not to spring for the new iPhone 4S tomorrow? While it does come with some shiny new hardware (and software) inside, not everyone will benefit from an upgrade. Debate no more — here, the pros and cons of the new smartphone, complete with a verdict on who should buy it and who should skip it.
- New camera — The 8MP camera with simple editing features (crop, rotate, enhance, and red-eye reduction), a backside illumination sensor, and larger aperture (for better low-light and white balance correction) make the iPhone 4S's camera one that competes with regular point-and-shoots. It will also come with face detection and image stabilization and the ability to capture HD 1080p video.
- Faster processor — The custom A5 chip in the iPhone 4S is the same one you'll find on the iPad 2, which means the iPhone 4S will be faster in processing speeds, games, and downloads.
- More carriers — Since the iPhone 4S is compatible with CDMA and GSM cellular bands, you can use it in more places around the globe. Even on Sprint's network, if you're looking for a change.
- Siri integration — Apple's new Assistant feature basically turns the iPhone 4S into a voice recognizing personal assistant. The demo during the keynote was impressive and highlighted some interesting uses for the blind, hands-free texting, and more.
- Wireless syncing — Raise the roof for wireless sync! This will be an iOS 5 feature that will be compatible for the iPad and iPod Touch as well, but I couldn't help but mention the fact that you'll soon be able to set up your devices and get updates without connecting your iDevice to a Mac or PC.
- Airplay — If you've got an Apple TV, the iPhone 4S will allow you to stream what's playing on your device to your HDTV with Airplay, which is built right into the new iPhone.
- Fingerprint resistant — The iPhone 4S has an oleophobic coating on its glass exterior, making it resistant to fingerprints by repelling oils in your fingers.
Read through our iPhone 4S cons, who should buy, and tips for upgrading when you read more.
Tomorrow is the day! The iPhone 4S is one hot item, selling over a million devices so far, with lots more hungry Apple fans ready to wait it out in line to get their hands on the latest Apple smartphone. If you didn't get a chance to preorder the 4S, don't fret — there are still several more options that will allow you to get the 4S on launch day. Check out the list below, and start planning your attack!
- Apple — No matter which carrier you're going with, the Apple store will be stocked with iPhone 4Ss from all wireless providers. Doors open at 8 a.m., but be prepared for long lines and wait times. I suggest packing a lawn chair, sunscreen, and an umbrella, and maybe even a friend so you can make coffee and sandwich runs.
- AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint — All three wireless carriers will be selling the iPhone 4S on Friday, with preorders getting reserved handsets first. Store hours vary by location, so check with your local store to make sure you're in line early!
- Sam's Club — Members can preorder an iPhone 4S through Sam's Club (memberships start at $40 a year) while they're available, and your device will be held for you at the store. Open sales of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint devices will take place while supplies last.
- Radio Shack — Past years have proven that Radio Shack may not get a lot of phones in stock so you might be taking a risk by heading here. However, getting in line early will definitely help your chances, and they'll be stocked with devices from all three wireless carriers.
- Target — Target will be selling iPhone 4Ss from all three wireless carriers. You can even trade in your iPhone 4 and put the money toward the purchase of a new 4S!
- Best Buy — Best Buy will likely have plenty of iPhone 4Ss on hand, but be sure to get there early to make sure you get a device from the carrier of your choice.
We're just days away from the iPhone 4S launch, and if you've finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade from your year-old iPhone 4, don't worry — there are ways for you to trade up without having to sell your iPhone online. These outlets are trading iPhone 4s for cash, so start planning accordingly.
- Apple — Apple is offering up gift cards in exchange for iPhone 4s in working condition. Exchange values will vary depending on scratches, battery charges, and whether you've supplied the power cord.
- Nextworth — Get cash for your iPhone 4 through this company that accepts phones via mail and sends you payment via PayPal or check.
- Target — Target is also working alongside Nextworth to offer customers trade-in values at their mobile locations or online and payment in Target gift cards, which can be used to buy the new iPhone 4S in store.
- Radio Shack — The Shack offers in-store trading in exchange for cash value, or you can choose to complete the trade-in online, which will garner you a Radio Shack gift card, which you can use toward the purchase of a new iPhone 4S.
Have any other locations to add to the list? Tell us about them in the comments!
The heat is on — the iPhone 4S is officially open for preorder on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint networks. Though there weren't many big upgrades (besides the amazing 8MP camera, the bump in processor speed, and the impressive Siri voice assistant application), these babies will probably still sell like hotcakes. Given the fact that the latest device was announced just hours before Steve Jobs passed away, I'd like to think that the iPhone 4S was called that as a tribute to the man himself. iPhone 4Steve has a nice ring to it.