Students need gear that'll survive heavy wear and tear. With all that backpack fumbling, those gadgets have to be built to last. We've found the most comfortable headphones for all-day wear, the ultimate study break, and a ruin-proof, water-resistant smartphone. Click to find out which tech students need to succeed!
Rocking a Roku? Heed this quick tip: the media streaming box updated its iOS app (free) to stream video from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch onto a TV screen. Download the latest version of the Roku app to share your bound-to-be-viral videos with a larger audience.
The new update is part of a feature called Play on Roku, which also pushes photos and music from a mobile device to a bigger display, like Apple TV or the new Chromecast. Users will need a Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku HD, Roku LT, or the Roku Streaming Stick to show media from their phone on a television display.
Roku hasn't said whether the Android app will receive the update, but if and when they do, we'll let you know.
With Google entering the streaming TV genre, there are many options if you are looking for a simple way to get content from your small-screen laptop to the huge flat screen in your living room. But which one is right for you? If you are thinking of getting an Apple TV, Roku box, or Logitech Revue with Google TV, try this personality quiz to help you figure out which one to get!
- Apple's website was down for a few hours this morning and when back up, showed off some great deals. The 24-inch iMac is now only $1,499 and comes with double the RAM and hard drive. — Gizmodo
- PadMapper is a cool new site that uses maps to show off Craigslist rental properties. — MakeUseOf
- The 65,000-square-foot roof of Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, NJ, has been covered in solar panels and is now capable of producing 412 kilowatts of electricity. — Forecast Earth
- Eye-Fi's new Explore Video ($99) and Share Video ($79) cards make it easy to upload video content wirelessly. They will start shipping by the end of the month. — Engadget
- Check out a video demo of Amazon Video On Demand on the Roku box. — CrunchGear
- The Roku Digital Video Player can already stream movies to your TV from Netflix, and it will soon add Amazon's Video on Demand to its movie streaming lineup. — Gizmodo
- Steve Jobs admits that he has been suffering from poor health over the past year, and attributes it to a hormone imbalance, which he is now being treated for. — BBC News
- The texting while driving ban in California is now in full effect. Texters will be fined $20 for the first infraction, and $50 for each subsequent violation. — Switched
- A new buckwheat laptop pillow with a bamboo platform ($98) actually circulates the air quite well so your laptop doesn't get too hot. — Unplggd
- Want to find free drinks in your city? A site called MyOpenBar will help you do just that. — Lifehacker