Although I'm still on the fence on whether or not to make resolutions for the New Year, I can appreciate the tradition. Thankfully, technology makes it easier than ever to follow through all year with those promises you made yourself on January 1. Check out a few handy apps for your iPhone, BlackBerry and Android devices that can help you succeed, and bonus — they're all totally free! See? You're already getting a head start on your list by saving some money.
Although GeekSugar hasn't been around for a full decade, we've been able to bring you enough organizational tips and tricks to last at least that long! Staying organized is an ongoing task, so check out some of my faves from the past few years in this slideshow.
Twitter might not have won the title of your favorite social networking site of the year, but it certainly made the list of the greatest tech trends and was one of the most popular words of '09. Still hot for Twitter? Here are some of our most popular guides to the tweet life.
- Twitter Management Systems: Guide to the Tweet Life — Twitter's aim is to keep us connected in real time, but once you dive in it becomes apparent that keeping up in real time is harder than it seems. Staying on top of the action is possible with a little help from these simple downloads and specially designed search tools.
- Five Handy Sites For Uploading Pics to Twitter — A picture is worth a thousand words, so if you can't sum it up in 140 characters, might as well snap a pic instead. Photo-tweeting is extremely easy thanks to these five sites that will have your photos up on Twitter (and other social networking sites you choose) just seconds after you say cheese.
- 7 Common Twitter Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes — Whether you're a Twitter n00b or an old pro, you start to get annoyed by missteps that new users make (old pros can be guilty as well). I think most of us have made some of the following common mistakes in the time we've been on Twitter.
For oodles of other twitterrific guides and tips, read more
- Browsin' and Boozin': Drunk Shenanigan Websites You Don't Want to End Up On — A new kind of website has popped up: the drunken night aggregator (to keep yourself from being featured on the lush site du jour, do yourself a favor and refer to my tech guide for avoiding boozy situations). Embarrassing, indulgent, exploitative, and frequently hilarious, these websites are unavoidable as the passed-around link among your friends right now, but trust me — you want to avoid actually being on these websites.
- How Not to Be Taken Seriously: Gadget Gear to Avoid — I love the hybrid of convenience and comfort that comes in the form of wearable gadgets or accessories, but there are some things — OK, many things — that no self-respecting human should be caught dead wearing. At least not in public, among people you may want to date, hire, or befriend you some day. Check out my selections and see if you agree with me.
I have plenty of other techie apps, sites, and sights that will make you LOL. To see them, read more
With my Website of the Day series, we've discovered hundreds of sites that help us stay organized, laugh, and go green, but at the end of the day, it's music that keeps me going throughout my daily grind. Here's a sweet and simple roundup of the best websites from this year that help you keep your playlists growing.
It was no shock that you named the Facebook app the best of the year, but let's continue our look back at the Best of 2009 with a recap of some of the other beloved, silly and downright necessary iPhone and BlackBerry apps.
- So You Got Your First iPhone: Must-Have Apps to Get You Started — With the 2009 release of the iPhone 3GS and the price drop of the 3G to $99, more geeks threw down for the iPhone. Check through my list of basic, free iPhone apps and get your download finger ready.
- Five Must-Have iPhone Camera Apps — If you're looking to use your iPhone camera for more than remembering where you parked and goofy pics, invest in a few inexpensive apps to improve its functionality and enhance your pics. There are hundreds of choices available at the iTunes store, but here is a handful that you simply must have. Who can say no to improved pics for less than $10? Certainly not me!
To see a few more iPhone apps, and of course, a few for your BlackBerry users out there, just read more
I know I've tossed a lot of photography tips your way over the past 12 months, but check it out — I'm handing you all my faves in one simple slideshow! Although this is technically a year-end roundup, I can't help but add in a few of my all-time faves as well, just cause some of them are so great. Find out what they are right here!
When I reached into my bag this morning to pull out my headphones, this is what I found. Granted, I was carrying two sets of headphones today (I accidentally brought my "office headphones" home with me last night), but somehow between my front door and my desk at the office, they turned into a tangled mess.
I'm a fan of cord management, though from the looks of my headphones this morning, I'm more of a fan in theory than in practice. In honor of my tangled earphones and my newly-created upcoming New Year's resolution to keep the cords under control, I've rounded up some of the best organizational goodies I found this year.
If you're not in the market for a new product, you can also check out the free solution I spotted last year.