- Get out of your car as much as you can. Walk, take public transportation, or ride a bike as much as you can.
- Get energy-efficient lighting for your house. The earth and your wallet will both thank you.
- Put weather stripping up around your doors and windows, making your home tight and efficient.
- Start a compost container or pile, and use it for starting a home garden — it will deliver great food through a great pastime. If you live in an apartment, get part of a community garden!
- Practice the 3 Rs — reduce, reuse, recycle.
In honor of Earth Day, I was originally going to offer up my favorite eco geek and feature them in their own post. But once I got digging, I really couldn't decide on just one! Sure, the term "geek" may apply to more than gadgets in this case, but not only are these ten people lovably geeky in their own right, they all have one thing in common: they're passionate about our planet! Check out some of my favorite eco-minded geeks, and then be sure to vote for your favorite on the last slide!
The Green Movement may have just gotten nasty. Science Guy, Billy Nye and actor Ed Begley, Jr. are engaging in an “keeping up with the Jones’ eco race”. Though the tale of the neighborhood war calls them sort of unflatteringly, "moderately famous," Hey, Ed Begley was great in HBO's Recount) now the battle for the planet taken center stage on their block.
According to a neighbor who lives between the two TV personalities (poor 83-year-old Frema Rood) the competition started the minute Bill Nye moved into the neighborhood announcing his intentions to “...best Ed Begley at his own game.”
Since then the two have been trying to out-solar panel one another — in a race which appears to be favoring Nye. The Science Guy’s panels have a few newer features like a system that displays when he’s creating more power than he’s using. Rub it in, much?
Of course, Begley has had a 20-year head start. To see how, and what the two have done in their planetary battle royale, read more