I've always been a bit of a book worm. At seven I picked up my first novel and at 10 I was appointed president of my school's Library Club. While I don't consume books the way I did as a kid, I miss being part of book clubs or seminar classes where I can discuss and debate interesting authors and ideas with friends. So what's a 21st Century geek to do? nannychica shared a website called Shelfari recently and I have to admit I'm completely hooked.
The site is essentially an online book club. It lets you create a virtual bookshelf and share your favorites with friends, see what friends are reading and even get and give book recommendations. The community seems to be tuned into literary phenomenons like Harry Potter (17,743 members own Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!) and even offers special contests surrounding popular books and series. If you like reading and checking out what's "hot" in the book world, you will get lost in the pages of this site.
To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Website of the Day group, read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Website of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Website of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the website, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Website of the Day group and share information about all your favorite sites! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!