We all know there are plenty of green (or greener) gadget alternatives, small steps we can take to preserve energy (like using solar powered chargers) and plenty of eco accessories, but how do we know if our efforts are effective?
Crave turned me on to Consumer Consequences, a neat interactive website (they call it a game) that illustrates your family's ecological footprint. The site is part of American Public Media's special series, "Consumed," which explores whether the modern American lifestyle is sustainable in the long run.
You create an avatar and are asked a series of questions about your lifestyle, such as "how do you get to work?" and "how much do you pay on your electricity bill per month?" As you play, it will show you how many "Earths" of natural resources it would take to sustain all 6.6 billion humans if everyone lived like you. It's a pretty amazing idea and well worth the couple of minutes it takes to finish the game.
To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Website of the Day group, just read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Website of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Website of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the website, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Website of the Day group and share information about all of your favorite sites! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!