Ecards have come a long way, baby. They are no longer just boring messages accompanied by popular cartoon characters and illustrations that look like something your great aunt would send using snail mail. With Christmas in the rearview mirror, you probably have a long list of family members and friends who deserve a thank you note. Here are some of my favorite hip ecard sites that offer simple, funny, and paperless ways to say thanks.
- GroupCard — Want to personalize a thank you card from your whole family? This site features an electronic pass-around that's accomplished by just emailing the card to the people who need to sign it. Easy as pie.
- MushyGushy — Upload photos and cut and place your heads onto awesome video animations! It's like Elf Yourself without the hats.
- Postcard.FM — Lets you put together any picture and any song (just upload each file), slap in a message and an email address, and your recipients get a custom card!
- Someecards — It's hard not to get addicted to this hilarious site with wacky, cheeky ecards. The site is known for juxtaposing vintage-y images with witty and racy messages. Not your grandma's ecard site.
For the rest of my ecard suggestions, read more.
- Carded — The site has video cards for all "those small and embarrassing real-life moments that, until now, nobody made greeting cards for," and they are fantastically funny.
- Postcard Express — If you have an iPhone, check out the Postcard Express ($4) app. You can take a picture at whatever fabulously exotic location you're at, and then you add your message and the email address of the recipient. It'll even geo-tag your photo/postcard for you.
- From a Birdie — Send a message from a little birdie (or a whole flock!). You can add photos to your cards, and there aren't any size restrictions.
- FlyGreetings — These are cute, no-fuss ecards. Where else can you find cards that say things like "Let's Get a Mani" or "You're Preggers, Congrats!"?! With a tagline of "free does not have to be cheap or cheesy," FlyGreetings cards are classy, so you don't have to worry about weird flash animation or corny songs playing when your friend sees the card.
- Thank You Too — This is an ecard service with an old fashioned twist. You select from a variety of short but sweet messages like "You are beautiful. Thank you." or "You found me. Thank you." or "I love the way you turn the page. Thank you." Then type out a personal message for the back of the card, and the creators of the website rewrite it by hand and send it off.