Happy Halloween! The house has been cobwebbed, the candy is out, and the costume is good to go . . . so now what? Get ready for tonight's festivities by spooking yourself and your friends silly with haunting tales of ghosts, talking dolls, and phantoms. These five hair-raising storytelling apps will frighten, startle, and disturb you into the All Hallows' Eve mood.
- iPoe ($2) — This interactive and illustrated Edgar Allen Poe app reimagines all the poet's greatest, spookiest classics. Terrifying animations and an original soundtrack illustrate "The Oval Portrait," "The Tell Tale Heart," "The Masque of Red Death," and "Annabel Lee."
- True Ghost Stories From Around the World ($1) — User-submitted ghost stories from all over the world are compiled in this collection of the strangest and scariest spirit sightings. This growing anthology of supernatural events is updated daily.
- Scary Story Kit ($2) — Complete with spooky sounds, mood-setting lights, and haunting images, this digital aid will bring your scary stories to life.
- Scary Stories For Kids ($1) — These horror tales are not for the faint of heart. Possessed antique dolls, a snowy Winter's night, and talking dolls are the stars of these short stories.
- 200+ Scary Stories, Sounds, And Pranks ($1) — Every classic spook, from R.L. Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, is packed into this app. The "Auto-Scare" feature randomly plays sounds at any time, making it the perfect vehicle to creep out your audience.
More frightening tales after the break.
Too scary? There's always It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown ($3)!