Rats, did you forget to charge your Kindle (again)? Don't fear: ereader-less bookworms don't have to miss a single spellbinding page of Game of Thrones with mobile apps that turn smartphones into the reading device of their choice. Most of the apps will sync the last-read page among any devices with the app too.
These free apps are also handy if there's a book that's available in the catalog for Nook and not Sony Reader. So, cast a transfiguration spell and convert a mobile device into an ereading machine with these apps for iOS and Android.
- Kindle — Amazon's ereader apps for iOS, Android, Mac, and PC let you shop the Kindle store, read the first chapter of every book before buying, and download local library ebooks to the app.
- Kobo — With apps for iOS, Android, Mac/PC, and BlackBerry, your Kobo library is synced across all devices. See what your friends are reading and keep track of your reading habits with the app's Reading Life feature, too.
- Nook — Something exciting is happening in the Barnes and Noble world: Nook is available for web! There are also apps for iPad, iPhone/iPod touch, Android, PC and Mac for access to your Nook library anywhere, anytime, and lets readers easily lend books to friends and family.
- Sony Reader — Sony Reader recently returned to iOS devices, after a short hiatus. The app is available for Android phones/tablets, PC, and Mac as well. Those who download the free app will receive a complimentary copy of Trouble on Reserve by Kim Harrison. No ebook purchases can be made from the app, but readers can personalize their collection or organize their library.
- iBooks — Apple's iBookstore app for iPhone and iPad allows readers to download and read the latest bestsellers or timeless classics on iOS devices. Also download PDFs into personal collections, and see all of your purchases — as well as your bookmarks, highlights, notes, and current page — on iCloud.
- Wattpad — This unique app for iOS, Android, BlackBerry, and Kindle Fire is a community for discovering and sharing stories. Read original works or publish your own!
More transforming reading apps after the break.