Yesterday, I mourned the loss of Bloglines, a once-popular RSS reader that will shut down on Oct. 1. Company execs partially blamed the shutter on the popularity of social networking site like Facebook and other sharing sites like Digg, which, according to them, make RSS readers obsolete.I don't agree — I couldn't get along without them! An overwhelming majority of you sided with me; here's more of what you had to say:
- "Frankly, I'd be very bummed if all RSS readers went away. I don't like using social networks for use. Twitter's good for some things, but it's not a complete resource, and I much prefer RSS readers." — Matdredalia
- "How can you get by without an RSS reader??? I use Google." — imLissy
- "I used to use Google, but I stopped. I only log onto maybe 10 different websites that update per day, and they are all in my bookmarks toolbar, so I don't feel the need to use an RSS reader." — PrincessOats
- "I use it and love it, because I'm the kind of person who wastes a ton of time going to every single blog several times a day, only to find no new posts." — RoaringSilence
- "I use Google Reader on my cell phone when I'm on the go. Other than that, I just go to actual website." — pinkmystic
Do you have any comments to add? Leave them below!