We just got a refresher on OS 3.0 for the iPhone at WWDC, and now it's time to hear about some great new APIs for the developers — which means great new apps for us users.
- In App Purchase: In App Purchase lets you buy things within an app, so you can "go shopping" with the business that sold you the app with the same terms as any point of purchase. And P.S.: "free apps remain free" — so if you ever get a free app, it's free for you forever.
- Support For Peer to Peer Connectivity: New P2P support automatically finds the other iPhone you're trying to connect with, like if you want to play a game against a friend with your two phones — no pairing necessary!
- Accessories: Hardware accessories can be paired with apps, like Johnson's LifeScan insulin app for diabetics — either wirelessy over bluetooth or over the wire.
- Maps: My fave API so far — developers can embed Google Maps service in their apps; for instance, if you find a business on the Yelp app, you can get to a Google Map to find your location and get directions there. Oh, and say hello to turn-by-turn directions!
- Push Notification: Apps can push things like alerts, IMs, and numerical badges (like the numbers on the email app).