Prince William and Kate Middleton are headed to California, and while their trip itinerary is set with a polo match, charity function and BAFTA events, we'd like to pretend they are secretly interested in sneaking away from the limelight to discover Los Angeles's most geek chic destinations. Whether or not the royal couple heeds our suggestions, check out our picks for LA's geekiest Summer spots.
- La Brea Tar Pits — In the heart of LA on Wilshire Boulevard, the tar pits are an amazing reminder of what the city was like 40,000 years ago when woolly mammoths roamed the land.
- Griffith Observatory — As president of the BAFTA, Prince William can appreciate the cinematic history of the Griffith Observatory, which served as a filming location for Rebel Without a Cause, Terminator, Transformers, and, of course, Paula Abdul's "Rush Rush" music video. Movies aside, spy some amazing city views from the observatory grounds and learn all about the celestial world in the public exhibits.
- Echo Park Time Travel Mart — What could be cooler than a time travel themed store? A time travel themed store that supports 826 LA, a non-profit writing and tutoring center for kids. In addition to space and time traveling goodies, the shop sells a full-length album with lyrics written by 826 LA students and recorded by local bands including She & Him, Fiona Apple, and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, among others.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory — As a NASA laboratory, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory helped launch the first US satellite in space, kicking off the "space race" age. The royal couple (and commoners like you and I) can take a guided tour of the facilities to learn more about the lab's modern work including missions to Mars.
- Star Tours at Disneyland — We're obviously excited for the new Star Tours ride at Disneyland and if you've traveled across an ocean to California, geeking out with C-3PO and R2-D2 on the amusement park ride of the Summer is a must.
We won't be offended should the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge not fit our must-see geek destinations in their whirlwind tour of Los Angeles, but if you happen to visit any of our geek-approved LA Summer hot spots, share your pictures on our Facebook wall!