When it comes to advertising and marketing there's no one recipe that satiates and titillates all cultures and what works in one country can come off as crude, confusing or darn right silly in another. The British "Mac or PC" ads, which are similar to those aired in the US but laced with British humor, were called "too smug" and reportedly made Apple a "less favorable" company with the UK public. So what does that difference in cultural subtitles look like in other countries? Our resident geek spy chuger snapped this photo of an LG ad, which features retro doll-like characters chatting on their phones, in a shopping mall in Korea. The campaign is a world away from this recent American LG ad, which features simple phones and very little "story." Which do you prefer?
To check out close ups of the ad or to share your funny ads from around the world, read more
Have you been to a geeky museum exhibit recently or run across funny gadgets or ads while traveling? Share your photos, news, reviews and tips with geeksugar in the Geeky Things I Love group and I'll feature my favorites on the homepage. I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Geeky Things I Love
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this post was "museum, Lego")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the download, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Geeky Things I Love and start sharing your finds. They might end up on the geeksugar homepage!