On Wednesday, the App Store celebrates its fifth anniversary, and to honor the milestone, the iOS platform's top developers are offering their apps for free! It isn't clear how long the promotion will last, so get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and grab these downloads while they're still being offered on the house.
Today, we're heading to App-y Hour a little early, with four of our favorite freebies from the App Store:
- How to Cook Everything — Based on Mark Bittman's bestselling cookbook, this app has over 2,000 recipes and step-by-step technique guides. What sets How to Cook Everything apart from other mobile recipe apps are the built-in timers, quantity converters, and advanced search filters. It's a must-download for both foodies and newbie chefs.
- Over — This photo app adds beautiful text and hand-drawn illustrations to enhance your iPhoneography. Over is one of our top picks for apps that add typography to photography.
- Barefoot World Atlas — Explore the seven wonders of the world and beyond with this interactive 3D globe, that offers rich information about every country and fun animations by artist David Crane. BBC geographer Nick Crane offers spoken narration, and Wolfram Alpha provides live, updated country data.
- Day One — Streamline your journaling with the 21st century version of the diary. Sync entries via the cloud, add photos, tags, and hashtags, embed locations, record weather data, set a pass-code lock, and more in this personal history preserver.
See the rest of the free iOS offerings after the break.
- Tiny Wings — A simple flying game featuring adorable illustrated birds.
- Traktor DJ — The maker of the professional DJ software brings its music-bending powers to mobile.
- Infinity Blade — IGN's 2011 Mobile Game of the Year features an unlikely hero out in a detailed 3D gaming environment to unlock the truth about the Infinity Blade.
- Map My Ride+ — Your iPhone becomes the ultimate cycling and running tracker.
- Badland — This year's Apple Design Award winner is an indie game with beautiful, out-of-this-world forest graphics.
- Where's My Water? — In this Disney classic, you have to flex your brainpower to find fresh water for Swampy by cutting through dirt, toxic water, steam, and more.
- Knots 3D — Learn to tie, rotate, and untie over 80 knots for boating, camping, climbing, and fire and rescue.
- Liquid Sketch — The iPad game features a liquid simulator that allows graphic artists to mix paint and create eye-catching visuals inside of 90 challenging puzzles.
- Sword and Sorcery — The 8-bit styled game puts a huge emphasis on its original score to enhance the mythical realm-faring adventures.
- Real Steel — Based on the DreamWorks movie, you must defeat steel opponents in this post-apocalyptic game.
- War of Reproduction — Compete in the game of procreation.
- The Idiot Test — Put your wits to the test with these brain-teasing puzzles.
- Glow Puzzle — The neon puzzler is a great challenging time-waster. Connect all the dots without reusing one of your paths.
- Pig Shot — Play as the adorable pigs Bacon and Maggie, and battle obstacles, sheep, and other farm plights in this addicting casual game.