Get ready for school a little early by exploring apps geared toward your favorite subjects. To get in the education frame of mind, here are five science apps to help you discover more about how the world works and act as a guide on science-related subjects — at any level.
- The Elements: A Visual Exploration ($7): With this app, each element in the periodic table is displayed visually. Want to learn more about gold? Tap the gold nugget for an animated screen filled with facts, figures, and a crisp, 360-degree look of each element.
- Monster Anatomy HD ($19): If you're interested in anatomy or studying medicine this Fall, then you'll have to know the ins and outs of the human body. Although it's a little pricier than most apps, Monster Anatomy HD will become an indispensable part of your studies. Designed for health-care professionals and students, the app has high-quality imaging and zoom tools to identify every piece of the human body.
- Star Walk For iPad ($5): Not just for science lovers, this app is ranked among the best of the iTunes Store and is packed with features for anyone looking to surf the stars. You can even explore the night sky in real time.
- Science Glossary (free): Geared toward high-school and undergrad students, this app is an extension of Visionlearning where students (or the curious) can quickly look up science-related terms and biographies on their famous scientists. The learning modules are detailed, ensuring you don't miss a single science factoid.
- WolframAlpha ($2): You may have used this service when posing questions to Siri, but we also recommend downloading the app itself to search answers for all science and math topics. It uses a vast collection of algorithms and data to compute answers and generate reports with clear and comprehensive facts, figures, and maps.
Do you have a favorite app for exploring the sciences?