Have a pile of post-holiday cards now lining stocking after stocking? With a long weekend ahead of us, there's plenty of time to make use of the stack of $25 iTunes gift cards. Fill your downtime with an impromptu 2011 cinematic retrospective, by renting these six movies (all $4 per rental) that debuted this year.
- Apollo 18 — Why didn't NASA send more astronauts to the moon? The found footage-style film explores what really exists on our satellite.
- Super 8 — The charming tale of budding kid filmmakers in a 1970s small town takes a sci-fi twist with a crop of disappearances.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes — The modern prequel to the classic film may have you wondering whose side you'd be on: human or ape.
- X-Men: First Class — The precursor to the X-Men saga reveals the creation and early days of our favorite superheroes.
- Cowboys & Aliens — Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford team up as fearsome cowboys to protect Earth and the Old West from alien takeover.
- Thor — By the hammer of Thor, this was one of the year's better superhero movies. Dazzling action scenes perfect for a comic book junkie.
Now consider yourself caught up on the year's sci-fi and superhero movies, with $1 to spare!