- The Veronica Mars movie will be Kickstarter's biggest project ever — FWD
- The greatest Internet video never made — Cracked
- Watch Google Glass in action — ReadWrite
- Teenagers are, like, really addicted to their smartphones — HuffPost Tech
- Google fined over Street View snooping — Newser
- Watch this insane Back to the Future-inspired Hoverboard float — /Film
- The English astronomer who discovered Uranus — Geekosystem
- Meet the robot of your dreams: Bartendro — Brit + Co
What would you do if you ran out of movies and TV shows to watch? Netflix is going to try to get you by with a little help from your friends. The online streaming and DVD rental service introduced Netflix Social today, a feature that lets users connect a Facebook account to see (or snoop) their friends' viewing history.
Netflix Social could definitely come in handy — but only if you and your friends have the same taste in TV. If the political thriller House of Cards is getting rave reviews from everyone in your network, it's probably time for you to jump on the bandwagon.
But before you connect and agree to share, get to know Netflix Social's new friendly features.
For the fifth year, the latest and greatest of the tech world's startups descended upon Austin, TX, to pitch their companies and products as part of SXSW's Interactive Accelerator, a competition to highlight the year's best innovators. The winners of 2013's startups range from the medically groundbreaking — Alzheimer's detection years before symptoms manifest — to customizable 3D-printed dolls that may have kids next Christmas season saying, "Barbie who?" Here, a look at the cream of the interactive startup crop.
Father's Day is just around the corner, and you're in luck, because we have the perfect gift — our POPSUGAR Must Have Special Edition Summer For Him box! We've already revealed one of the exciting items inside — these cool wooden Proof sunglasses — and there's lots more to help your dad, grad, or any guy in your life tackle Summer looking sharp, drinking well, and getting into BBQ mode. Sign up by May 28, and we'll make sure to get the box there in time for Father's Day!
Find out more and sign up for our POPSUGAR Must Have Special Edition Summer For Him box!
Kitty is not impressed with the state of your laptop. We eat, work, and sometimes even sleep within a hand's reach of our laptops, and these lifelines to entertainment and Internet goodness can get pretty dirty. To keep your computer in beautiful condition, make a habit of cleaning it once a week. Use these tips to ensure your laptop looks as fresh as the day you unboxed it.
- Use kosher cleaning products — By kosher, I mean LCD-approved! You can't use just any old household cleaner to spruce up your delicate laptop screen and body — stay away from any all-purpose household cleaners and anything containing acetone, ammonia, or alcohol, which will strip away your LCD's protective coating. Use a soft cloth (like a microfiber) to wipe down your monitor and screen, steering clear of paper or bath towels, which will cause scratching. If a dry wipe-down won't cut it, try using distilled water or a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and distilled water, and use light, rapid circular movements to help reduce streaking.
- Blast away — Grab a can of condensed air and blast out the dirt, grime, and crumbs hiding between keyboard keys. Use a toothbrush to sweep away all the findings.
- Mouse time — Pair your laptop with an external mouse? Clean it with a basic white piece of paper. Slowly drag the mouse from the top of the piece of paper to the bottom. Repeat sideways if any dirt still appears on paper. The paper should instantly move the dirt away from the pads on the bottom of the mouse!
- Recycle properly — If you're cleaning the laptop to upgrade to a newer and sexier model, make sure you're breaking it off with your old computer the right way. Suss out recycling centers in your area, resell it, donate it, or just drop it off at Best Buy for fast and easy recycling. In any case, be sure to wipe your hard drive of any personal information and do a factory reset to make sure you're clear.
Attention, iPhone users: it's time to relive those childhood field trips — Google style! The powerhouse of the Internet has finally released its Field Trip app (free) to Apple users. What was once an Android-based app is now available to those with iPhones and iPads.
Consider Field Trip the guide to everything cool around you — from history to happy hour. Once downloaded, the mobile application will run in the background, notifying you when you're close to something interesting. Without research, hunting, or trying, you will discover new eats and local gems.
The app was cool before, but now it's even cooler. With partners like Arcadia and Historvius, you can feed your inner history buff, while experts like Food Network and Zagat will help to feed your inner foodie. Other top-notch partners will guide you to the latest music scenes, boutiques, and more. Start downloading to discover fun things on vacation, or simply venture off the beaten path during your next walk around the block. Let us know what you find!
Have you been testing out your photography skills and snapped a shot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram with the #CoolCapture hashtag, and your pic might be featured on the POPSUGAR Tech homepage. And don't forget to follow @popsugartech on Instagram for more behind-the-scenes snaps from SXSW!
From your favorite food and drink to an all-star day on the field, spills and splats can put a serious damper on the most magical of moments. Even worse is putting an unsightly stain through the washer and dryer only to discover it survived — next stop: wardrobe oblivion.
Thankfully, Clorox 2 Stain Fighter & Color Booster offers a way to save your precious garments so you can savor life down to the merriest yet messiest of times. Fighting tough stains like berry juice, grass, ink, and more is easy when you use the power of Clorox 2 as a pre-treater or through the wash. Not only does the TripleSolve™ Technology attack stains three times in every wash to remove tough stains the first time around, it also brightens and whitens so clothes come out looking better than ever. Click here to take a closer look at how it works now.
So go ahead, get dirty — and live fearlessly! But first, take our poll and tell us which kind of stains you need the most help with. You’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win a new washer and dryer courtesy of Clorox 2!
Thanks to Greek designer Mary Katrantzou, currency, couture, and cases have become one, and our gadgets couldn't be happier. Just in time for Spring, Katrantzou is releasing a line of fresh accessories, all doting on the "vintage" patterns of outdated currencies like the Maltese lira and deutsche mark.
Her new collection of cases is more than money, too; whimsical patterns inspired by the Mediterranean and old postage stamps offer techies a well-traveled touch.
Cases come in three sizes to fit your iPhone, iPad, and 13-inch MacBook (of course!). Although they are currently only available for preorder, these leather pouches range from $400 to $790, a bargain considering these stylish bags are versatile enough to hold more than your gadgets and will transition well into the Summer!
Reddit's Ask Me Anything is famous for letting Internet users ask brave souls any question they want. Some of our favorites geeks took the hot seat, and shared little known facts and gems during their Reddit sessions.
We've rounded up our favorite snippets from the Interwebs's best Q and As with famous statisticians, astronauts, astrophysicists, and more. Read on for both serious and light moments from the geeks we love.