We know that looks aren't everything, but man — the new Nikon Coolpix P310 is quite a looker. Coming with a retro-styled bod and a 16MP sensor, it's the pocket cam for professionals, and a great investment for mobile photographers who want a little more power behind their pics.
The camera itself comes with a 3-inch LCD screen on the back, improved image stabilization, 19 scene modes, full 1080p video recording, Eye-Fi SD card support, and is pocketable and light at just 6.9 ounces. It shoots fabulously well in low light thanks to high ISO and a wide angle f/1.8 lens, which means all those concert and party pics you like to take will look even better. Plus, a smart backlight HDR mode will piece together multiple shots to get you better clarity and vibrancy. The P310's manual mode — that lets you adjust shutter speed, aperture, and other settings — will help you step out of your "auto" comfort zone.
You'll be able to get your hands on the P310 sometime in March for $330, but in the meantime, check out Nikon's sample images in the gallery to see what this camera can do.
- Why Amazon Subscribe and Save is great for moms — LearnVest
- Lost photos that could've changed history — Cracked
- The Facebook post that set a Guinness World Record — Newser
- First look at BlackBerry's "game-changing" device — Geek.com
- Of course, you've been meaning to post to Twitter in Morse code — Geekosystem
- Facebook's IPO today will make some very wealthy employees — All Things D
A thoughtful jewelry gift doesn't have to mean rare gemstones and hefty price tags. Step outside the, uhm, jewelry box and shower your sweetie pie with the geeky lifestyle treats they love so much. These rings combine romance with pop culture favorites like nostalgic video games and Doctor Who.
February, while the shortest on the calendar, may be best known as the month of love. And there's nothing we love more than tech. Whether you're gifting a new gadget or geeky item to a loved one for Valentine's Day or treating yourself to something special, check out a few of the gadgets, accessories, and home items that make our hearts flutter.
This image was submitted to Instagram with our Cool Capture tag by annemai.
Have you been testing out your photography skills and have a snapshot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram by tagging them with #CoolCapture. Your pics might be featured on the GeekSugar homepage!
- Wedding style inspiration from Beyoncé, Britney, and more!
- Video: go behind the scenes of Vanity Fair's gorgeous Hollywood Issue!
- Game on: healthy Super Bowl chili recipes
- Get your craft on! Fun Valentine's Day projects for tiny tots
- How well do you know your Fashion Week catwalkers?
- Try an Italian dish for your next cozy Winter meal
- Video: Find out why you'll fall in love with facial oils
- Kristen Stewart dons a ballgown for her chicest shoot yet
- Turn your home storage into fine design
- Recap the best and worst of January entertainment
- 5 ideas to increase your income this year
- Super Bowl bites for your four-legged friends
- 32 cases to spice up your iPhone's routine
- Stock up on Winter Kate must haves before they disappear!
Blame it on the dozens of downloaded photo apps and high-quality cameras in smartphones for our obsessive photographing and documentation of everyday life. Since there are tons of ways to print Instagram photos, I wanted to see how the square lo-res images translate to wall-worthy prints. Using CanvasPop, I turned an Instagram print from a memorable weekend into gallery-style canvas art as seen here.
Available in two sizes: a 12-inch stretched canvas square ($30 for a limited time) and a 20-inch stretched canvas square ($60 for a limited time), each canvas comes outfitted with a sawtooth hook for easy at-home hanging. The entire CanvasPop ordering process was as simple as taking an Instagram itself. Select a canvas size, a white or black canvas edge (which is not seen from a head-on view of the print), then the image itself by signing into your Instgram account on the site. If a retro border is what you want, be sure to select a photo from your Instagram library created with a filter that has a built-in border like Lomo-fi or Earlybird.
My 12-inch print was ordered during the hectic holiday season, but even with national holidays accounted for, it only took about two weeks for the finished canvas print to arrive nestled in a very secure cardboard box. I'm eager to make a few more prints for a pretty wall vignette while the introductory price deal is still on, since it's hard to rationalize $80 per print, despite the expert craftsmanship. The photo and filter colors on the canvas were nearly spot-on to the original image, just slightly more saturated, which actually seems appropriate considering I usually only see Instagrams in their tiny phone-sized resolution.
Whether it's a college dorm room or your first "grown-up" apartment, the CanvasPop Instagram print is a high-quality and affordable way to decorate with favorite memories.
Do your walls need a little pick-me-up? The Novel Poster lineup of prints may just be the thing you need to stay on budget and rock your decor in 2012. These prints, made entirely from five different celebrity Twitter feeds (including Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Stephen Colbert, Shaq, and Katy Perry) go for just $40, a drop in the bucket compared to other geeky artwork. The prints are all drafted in legible font sizes, so they should keep your guests entertained for hours during your next swanky soiree. And if you've ever read Kanye's Twitter feed, you know what kind of a gold mine you'd have on your hands.
- Watch how a centenarian uses video games to stay sharp — BuzzFeed
- The countries in favor of Twitter censorship — Newser
- Superhero costumes not even trying to hide their sexism — Cracked
- How Nintendo DS will be used as a teaching device — Geek.com
- Listen to Siri's musical debut in a Flaming Lips song — Tecca
- You really need this Star Trek/Fight Club shirt — GeekTyrant