- See how kids these days are asking dates to prom
- How to wear the tropical punch lipstick trend
- See inside Jessica Simpson's Charlotte's Web-themed baby shower
- 3 unexpected ways to wear mint green for Spring!
- Try these breezy bites for your bridal party
- Check out a DIY carnival wedding
- See Kristen Stewart and her costars in On the Road pictures
- So fresh, so clean: how to make DIY detergent
- Celebstyle: Earthy necklaces inspired by Gwyneth Paltrow's one-of-a-kind pendant
- Pet peeves: my cat won't stop meowing!
- Mobile-friendly pocket projectors
- Video: see Channing Tatum's hot and hilarious dance moves
- Kate Middleton and Prince William do an outfit change for an evening event
If we weren't so used to gaming on large and colorful smartphone screens, you bet we'd still be playing a Game Boy on the daily commute. Now we can have the best of both modern and retro worlds with these Game Boy and video game controller iPhone cases from Yamamoto Industries, purveyors of everything cool in Japanese electronic accessories. Even better? They're currently on sale through JackThreads. Check out the gear in the slideshow.
Arguably one of the most important tech inventions of our generation, the MP3 player didn't just invent itself. For that, we can thank Kane Kramer. He may not be a household name, but Kramer developed the first portable digital audio player 20 years before it became industry standard. In 1979, he designed the IXI digital audio player, the first of its kind to transfer and store music to-go. The player contained a credit card-sized IXI chip that held between 30 minutes to an hour of music, depending on the audio system (mono or stereo). All of this in 1979!
Kramer told us in an email that before the age of Internet, he imagined the "idea and concept of delivering music, data, and video down telephone lines on demand" via a small, portable device. Kramer's sketches, which are over 40 years old, very closely resemble what we now know as the iPod and iPod Mini. In 2008, Apple admitted that Kramer is the true genius behind the iPod technology.
The players that Kramer developed fit in the palm of your hand and featured a small LCD screen and a central navigation control panel. Despite several websites claiming the player only held three and a half minutes of music, Kramer insists the IXI held one hour of mono audio, half an hour of stereo, or 16 tracks of master recordings. He even thought of attractive aspects that we often take for granted, like having the ability to "select any track in any order" or download new content onto the device "in a matter of seconds."
It's truly fascinating — and almost unbelievable — how many trends Kramer invented almost 20 years before MP3 players would hit the mainstream market. In his 1979 proposal for IXI Systems, Kramer predicted that MP3s would "replace the heavy costs of distribution of records and tapes," would provide "immediacy of delivery," and "eliminate the need for retailers to carry any inventory." Sure enough, in the past two decades, almost every music store has closed down, while online MP3 sales have skyrocketed. If you're wondering what music will look like in the next 20 years, you better turn to Kane Kramer.
Source: Kane Kramer
- Whoa! Stunning 8-bit photos that run on HTML 5 — Geekosystem
- Japan's version of Instagram is so much cooler than ours — FWD
- Meet the robot controlled with your mind — Newser
- The Star Wars reboot people would actually watch — Cracked
- Download the Pixar-themed iPhone wallpaper immediately — SlashFilm
- The Ikea cardboard digital camera — Dvice
It's important for your home to be a place of tranquility and relaxation — especially the bedroom. We've got a few quick tips for making the most of your space without breaking the bank.
- Display items you already have around the house as artwork. Calendars and magazines have great images that you can crop to fit frames. Or for a high-impact effect, hang old records grouped together.
- Mix and match your pillows and throws. Between all the couches and beds in a house, we've all got lots of pillows and blankets. Why not mix them up? Give your bedding a fresh look by remixing pillows used in other rooms. You might be surprised at how good the different patterns look together.
- Bring in the outdoors. A little green will go a long way in making your room a retreat. Adding plants will connect you to nature and warm up the room.
- Add a splash of color. Nothing says makeover like a fresh coat of paint. Whether you're painting an accent wall or the entire room, the color will help set the mood. Choose cooler, softer tones for a more tranquil vibe, or go for bold with vibrant jewel tones.
- Find the right mattress for you and your budget. Your mattress is the foundation of a great bedroom. Don't sacrifice comfort for price. With the TEMPUR-Simplicity™ mattress, you get all the benefits of a Tempur-Pedic mattress at a price that's surprisingly affordable.
Rather than force your relatives or guests at a party to gather around your laptop or iPad screen to see your awesome vacation pics, snatch up one of these pocket projectors and blast your photos onto a white wall, sheet, or screen instead. Your nearest and dearest will appreciate the ability to kick back during the slideshow and enjoy your photo tour.
This amazing photo of a rock wall was submitted with our #CoolCapture tag on Instagram by amfranco.
Have you been testing out your photography skills and have a snapshot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram by tagging them with #CoolCapture. Your pics might be featured on the GeekSugar homepage!
April 26 is dubbed Richter Scale Day after Charles Richter, an American seismologist responsible for creating the Richter Magnitude Scale, who was born 112 years ago today. If you happen to live in a seismically active area, use this day as an excuse to create or replenish your Earthquake preparedness kit with supplies, sufficient water, and nonperishable food items. In the meantime, put your geology know-how to the test with our quiz.Take the Quiz
- Gorgeous glassware for outdoor entertaining
- Bon appétit: 15 films we'd love to taste
- Women we love make the White House Correspondents' Dinner guest list
- Prince William and Kate step out for first appearance after his return from duty
- 22 awesome manicure ideas to try now
- Hot Wheels! Celebrity babies' favorite strollers
- Top this: lightweight Spring jackets you need now
- Happy birthday Channing Tatum: Celebrate with his hottest shirtless movies
- Video: Jennifer Garner talks parenthood at first postbaby appearance
- Choosing a ring: diamond's cheaper, identical twin
- Beyoncé's philosophy on staying fit
- Spring's zoo babies
- CelebStyle: Celebs prove that the denim shirt is officially a fashion staple
- How to easily organize your Google docs