This picture of a bike ready to take on the weekend was submitted with our #CoolCapture tag on Instagram by karyzmmah.Have you been testing out your photography skills and have a snapshot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram by tagging them with #CoolCapture. Your pics might be featured on the GeekSugar homepage!
May has been a busy month for the Geek world! It's National Bike Month, so share some bike pride with a bike-printed iPhone case. With The Avengers' recent release and wedding season in full swing, we're inspired by superhero-themed weddings. In honor of Tim Burton's latest film, Dark Shadows, we took a look at his geeky film credentials. Catch up with our world in the gallery!
Whether you prefer to be in the kitchen or on the road, we've come up with several creative ideas to keep you busy this Spring. Looking for some new pastimes? From DIYs to nerdy day trips, we've got 18 fun, geeky ideas to get you through the season.
- Have a documentary marathon: Not sure where to start? Check out Frozen Planet, a seven-part series from the team behind Planet Earth, to learn more about climate changes (and adorable animals!) in the Poles.
- Become an amateur astronomer: Pick an especially clear night and look at the stars with the 5 Stars Astronomy Guide App. It's simple: hold your phone to the sky and you'll learn all about the constellation in front of you.
- Host a Comic-Con party: Get your pals to dress up as their favorite comic book characters and go for bold, bright decorations. Keep your favorite comic-inspired flicks playing in the background and serve drinks in these Vintage DC Comic Tumblers ($125 for 6).
- Try a coding class: Do a bit of research to find local coding classes at a community college. Sign up solo or invite your Internet-obsessed pals to join so that you can help each other learn the HTML ropes.
Keep reading for more geeky things to do.
- Turn your neighborhood into a Google Maps blanket — Geekosystem
- If Mother's Day cards were honest — Cracked
- R2-D2 takes on coffee duties — Dvice
- Facebook tries charging users to promote posts — Newser
- Gorgeous Avengers concept art — SlashFilm
- The record-breaking Kickstarter watch — Tecca
- The most beautiful social networking app — FWD
We've all had those nights full of restless tossing and turning. These sleepless nights can be caused by a variety of distractions and irritations, such as too much stress or not enough exercise. Whatever the reason may be, check out these three tips below for improving your sleep.
Make time for sleep. You schedule time for doctor's appointments, working out, and seeing friends; why not do the same with your sleep schedule? Start going to bed at a regular time and waking up at the same time every morning. By doing this, you will feel much more refreshed and energized.
It's time to sign off. While smartphones, computers, tablets, and televisions are an easy way to zone out and take your mind off of the day, they also keep you up late into the night. Disconnect from technology at least an hour before you go to bed and let your mind rest. You'll be surprised what a difference this makes.
Make sure you've got a good foundation. Good sleep starts with your mattress. Your bed should be comfortable and give you enough room to move around easily. If you're waking up with aches, it may be time to look into getting a new mattress.
Start improving your sleep today. Check out the Tempur-SIMPLICITY™ mattress that offers the essential Tempur-Pedic benefits, in comfort and contouring support, at a surprisingly affordable price. Find out more here.
Being a bridesmaid is quite the commitment, so get creative when you give thanks by picking out unique gifts that your geeky pals will love. No matter their nerd variety — literary, gaming, tech — we've found a wide range of options to suit all kinds of geeky personalities. From Photoshop classes to Transformers-inspired beers, here are 14 fun options to shop for your bridesmaids.
The iTunes store offers lots of content, but with the separate pages for movies, TV, apps, and books, it can be a pain for a casual user like Mom to navigate. This Mother's Day, help Mom make the most of her digital media with a walk-through of the iTunes Store's most important functions.
- Update Mom's iTunes: If Mom's still running on 6.0, the first step is updating the program to its current version. She's less likely to run into bugs, plus she'll have the most current store features.
- Teach how to redeem a gift card: Save Mom the future phone call to you by showing her how to redeem an iTunes gift card. Select the "Quick Links" bar on the right hand side of the iTunes Store home page, then "Redeem" to enter the gift card code and begin purchasing. Remind her to take this step any time she wants to use the gift card, otherwise iTunes will automatically charge the credit card associated with the iTunes account.
- Test out the search bar: Mom likely knows what she wants to purchase ahead of time, so help her search for items via the search bar on the upper right-hand corner of the title bar. The results aren't always clear, so make sure she's selecting the right items for purchase (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book rather than the movie).
- Explore each option on the navigation bar: Music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books: these are just a few items on the top navigation bar that Mom should explore to see what's new and what's popular.
- Dive deep into each section: Each media content page breaks down into series of categories. View the list of categories by holding down the content page name on the navigation bar, or look to the "Quick Links" section on the right-hand side of the page. That way, Mom can search for types of movies, books, and music she prefers.
Specializing in all things geek — including science experiments gone awry, dystopias, and alien attacks — Tim Burton's morose imagination and kooky humor keeps his fans coming back for more. Opening today is his latest venture, Dark Shadows. The flick is a reboot of the '60s-era TV show, starring Tim's muse Johnny Depp as a vampire who ends up in the disco era with his dysfunctional descendants. To celebrate his quirkiest creations, we've rounded up geek favorites from Tim's 17 years of film-making.
- Inspired wedding invites for geeks in love
- Get grilling with these yummy recipes
- Mix up your Spring essentials to create over 35 outfits
- Celebs on their moms: who said it?
- Gift your mom with a handmade terrarium
- Summer shows to get you through the break
- How walkers can benefit from going barefoot
- Simple tips to trim your wedding guest list
- 100 memorable celebrity tattoos
- CelebStyle: See the stars that are obsessed with yellow blazers
- The "perfect pair" baby shower for twins
- Learn how to do a Dutch braid
- Spot the difference between leopards, jaguars, and cheetahs
- Video: Johnny Depp denies split from Vanessa Paradis
To celebrate National Bike Month, we're busting out some serious bike gear to make your set of wheels high tech. Whether you want to retire your arm signals in favor of an LED turn signal or are looking for a way to mount your iPhone to use as a GPS guide, check out our list of gadget musts for your bike.