- Toggle screens — Quickly toggle between open applications with the Alt + Tab (for PC) or Open Apple + Tab (for Mac) keystrokes. This will allow you to quickly switch from your open web browser and work applications when you hear the boss tromping down your aisle.
- Use your desktop wallpaper — Take a screenshot of an important spreadsheet, document, or collection of open applications and set it as your desktop wallpaper. Commence shopping. If someone approaches, use the keystroke of Windows + D on your PC or F11 on your Mac to switch focus to your desktop, which will conveniently be populated with your busywork instead of a photo of your boyfriend, dog, and/or kids.
- Fake an Excel spreadsheet — If you're tweeting or Facebooking your finds, don't forget to keep that on the down low too. Applications like Spreadtweet and ExcellBook keep your social networking under wraps by disguising your feed as an excel spreadsheet.
If the battle of the seven-inch tablet has you leaning Amazon, the Kindle Fire is seeing a sweet little price drop this Cyber Monday. The Kindle Fire with ads is down $30 to $129. Enter FIREDEAL at checkout.
The 8GB Kindle Fire holds up to 80 apps, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books, with unlimited backup in Amazon's cloud storage. Still deciding which tablet to buy? We weigh the pros and cons of the Kindle vs. the Nook.
Hip hip hooray for this familiar face at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Sonic balloon was submitted by Instagram user karyzmmah using our #CoolCapture tag on Instagram.
Have you been testing out your photography skills and snapped a shot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram with the #CoolCapture hashtag, and your pic might be featured on the GeekSugar homepage!
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
- Hairstyle ideas for all holiday occasions
- Plan a blowout brunch for the family — no stove top required
- William and Kate have a date night at a Welsh rugby game
- Video: Cyber Monday deals we love and tips to remember
- Holiday party ideas to get your girlfriends into the spirit of the season
- The best gifts for experienced moms
- The Cyber Monday sales you should know about
- Shop Etsy for the best wrapping paper of the season
- Gone Girl casting: our picks for Nick and Amy
- DIY holiday cards that will leave an impression
- Practical stocking stuffers for fitness fans
- CelebStyle: Olivia Palermo's fur-trim puffer jacket makes us want one, too
- See Google's self-driving car go to Taco Bell
Steve Mahan really wanted to go to Taco Bell, so that's exactly where Google's Self-Driving Car took him. Steve is 95 percent blind, and as this video goes to show, it's people like him that could really benefit from those driverless Priuses that have been getting some buzz. For Steve, simple errands, like picking up a Crunchwrap Supreme or running to the grocery store, are huge tasks, but the self-driving car affords him "independence and flexibility" — and that's pretty amazing.
Google started the project in 2010 to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more efficient. Self-driving cars have already photographed hundreds of thousands of miles for Google Maps Street View, and now they're even legal in Nevada and California.
The experimental technology plays an important role in helping Google Maps reflect true road conditions, and as you just saw, it could change the lives of many visually impaired and handicapped people. Self-driving cars still need to pass rigorous technical and safety tests before they can hit the market, but until then, we'll be watching this video on loop.
And by Black Friday, we really mean Black Thursday through Sunday, because big-box retailers weren't kidding around this year. As usual, tech deals were rampant, but positive sentiments about one of the busiest shopping days of the year were hard to come by.
When we asked if systems were go for Black Friday on our Facebook page, some readers responded that it's too stressful and crowded, and another exclaimed, "Heck no!!"
Huge sales and heavily discounted merchandise is a shopping dream come true — but maybe all that ad sifting, waiting in line at the crack of dawn, and elbowing your way through crowds just isn't worth it. Or, perhaps that's the wrong attitude. For some, sleep deprived bargain hunting is the way to go.
So tell us, how did you spend post-Thanksgiving? Lined up at 5 a.m.? Loaded up a cart with tech toys and gizmos? Or did you sleep in and watch reruns of Law & Order: SVU?
Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, curling up with leftover stuffing and watching some awe-inspiring videos sounds pretty good, doesn't it? Well, we've unearthed stunning, beautifully crafted films that feature everything from time-lapses of the night sky to an autistic artist who draws entire skylines from memory.
These visual wonders are a small sample of the artistry on Vimeo, whose robust filmmaking community seems to grow by the day. The video-hosting site launched Creator Services earlier this year to help support the creative endeavors of filmmakers and producers, so we only expect more amazing online flicks in the future. Until then, sit back and enjoy the best of what Vimeo has to offer right now. You also might want to grab your charger, because you'll be here a while.
It's time to treat the man in your life! First we launched our amazing POPSUGAR Must Have subscription box, then we introduced our POPSUGAR Must Have luxury box for holiday — which sold out immediately! — and now we have another exciting new box to offer: POPSUGAR Must Have luxury for men! It's our very first Must Have box for your amazing guys. Whether it's your boyfriend, dad, brother, or best guy friend and no matter if he's hip, urban, or traditional, it's great for every man. All of the items are curated and hand picked by our editors.
It's the POPSUGAR Must Have quality, and full sized items, you know and love, now tailored for him. Think classic, fun, unexpected, and cutting edge — it will make the perfect gift for your men this holiday season. He's going to love it. We have a very limited quantity, so sign up fast for the POPSUGAR Must Have luxury men's box!
That's right — we're tumbling through the Tumblrverse at popsugartech.tumblr.com. Follow us for the best geeky finds on the web, plus Internet cats, memes, gifs, tips, tricks, and much, much more. So don't be shy: reblog, like, and ask away!
Still not getting your daily recommended intake of POPSUGAR Tech? Catch us elsewhere on the interwebs at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.