No, a well-groomed debonair geek is not an oxymoron, and I'm sure you've got a gentlefellow on your holiday shopping list to prove it. Whether it's your techie main squeeze or geeky gamer brother, this gift guide is chock-full of smart and dashing gadgets, gizmos, and accessories worthy of your favorite fella. So take a look at these primo picks fit for grown-up geek guys.
A deliciously addicting puzzle game? Don't mind if I do. The makers of the bestselling Cut the Rope mobile game for iOS have announced what they claim is an equally addictive puzzle app called Pudding Monsters.
There isn't any gameplay video available just yet, but from what we've seen, it looks like lovable little monsters playing physics-based puzzle games. Russian developer ZeptoLab says that each of these delicious-looking characters are distinctive, with different types and abilities. They stick together too! Click on to get a first look at sketches from the development of Pudding Monsters, and watch the bubbly teaser trailer.
This gorgeous bunch of flowers was captured at a Manhattan market and submitted by Instagram user karyzmmah using our #CoolCapture hashtag.
Have you been testing out your photography skills and snapped a shot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram with the #CoolCapture hashtag, and your pic might be featured on the GeekSugar homepage!
She's the Batman to your Robin, your coding confidant, and the one you turn to to watch late-night Star Wars marathons — she's your best friend. So, what do you give the girl who's always by your side? For starters, turn to your love for tech. From best friend iPhone cases to Instagram memories, there are plenty of geek-chic gifts to choose from. These 10 gifts are as equally quirky as they are stylish — everything that bonded you two in the first place!
- Polish your look in under a minute
- 5 questions to ask yourself if your cake keeps sinking
- Skip the gift wrapping with pretty packaged gifts
- Victoria's Secret runway looks — would you wear them?
- Check out the best strollers of 2012
- Place-card holders fit for any holiday soiree
- Sneak a peek at Gossip Girl's series finale
- Get through the holidays debt-free
- Kick your abs into action with a new workout routine
- Invest in a high-low tail coat this season like Jessica Biel's
- Record one second of your life every day for a year to make a video
- A ShopStyle editor shares her Winter must-haves
- Stocking stuffers for your furry friends
- Vote for your favorite famous family of 2012
- Miranda Kerr says modeling in front of Orlando can be awkward
Sending holiday greetings is easier than ever with ecards and iPhone apps that let you send cards to your contact list on the fly, but popping a real card with a handwritten message in the mail is always the best way to show you care. If you lean more geeky than traditional, there's no reason why you can't show off a bit of personality in your holiday cards. Here, 18 seasonal cards for well-wishes and an end-of-the-year chuckle.
On his 30th birthday, Cesar Kuriyama quit his job and started creating a viral video — he just didn't know it yet. The project was an ambitious one: to record a moment every day for the rest of his life.
He cut footage from the first year of his undertaking into a film, and the result was this remarkable six-minute-long video collage. Most of the recordings were shot on an iPhone 4 or 4S (with an Olloclip ($70) for the fish-eye scenes), and the rest were filmed on a Canon 7D, Lumix Z53, and GoPro HD.
The project had such a positive impact on Cesar's life that he launched a Kickstarter campaign to turn his idea into an app called 1 Second Everyday that stitches one-second-long videos into a continuously evolving movie. The app accesses your camera roll and compiles the footage for you, then sends a daily reminder in case you forget.
Since it's still in development, 1 Second Everyday isn't available on the Apple App Store or Google Play just yet, but if you're really curious, preview screenshots from the app after the break.
- You think you had a bad Monday, Grumpy Cat won Employee of the Month; how awful — BuzzFeed
- Facebook chain letters that will clearly keep you very safe — Cracked
- Squirrel teaches robots to lie . . . we are doomed — Geekosystem
- Next up for tablets: eye-control technology — Newser
- No account, no problem with Facebook's new Messenger service — All Things D
- "Gangnam Style" has earned Psy a lot of Benjamins — ReadWrite
- Pinball machine creates beautiful, chaotic art — Dvice
- Gotham needs its Batcat — MTV Geek
For those who love technology as much as the treadmill, there is no shortage of fitness gadgets available this holiday season. From heart rate monitors to iPhone accessories, the latest technology is shaping up and taking to the gym, one app at a time. Suitable for the holidays and, yes, that New Year's resolution, we found 12 gadgets that will help any techie break a sweat with maximum precision and maybe a social network or two. Click to find the perfect gift in your price range —endorphins not included.